Satellite Event Policies
Neuroscience 2022 satellite event organizers are responsible for planning and holding events in accordance with the health and safety protocols established for the meeting. In addition, event organizers must adhere to the hosting facility restrictions and with local and state health department requirements. Failure to properly plan or hold the event in accordance with these restrictions will result in SfN cancelling the event.
As the meeting approaches, the latest guidelines will be reviewed, and updates will be posted in the “Health and Safety” section of the Neuroscience 2022 website.
The Neuroscience 2022 satellite policies are listed below. Satellite event submissions are now open.
Preview the satellite events taking place this year.
- Event Categories
- Event Submission Timeline and Deadline Dates
- Submission Requirements for Organizers
- Organizer Responsibilities
- Log-in Information
- Event Requirements
- Venue Options
- Scheduling: Approved Dates and Timeframes
- Fees and Refunds
- SfN Responsibilities
- Approved Actions
- Prohibited Actions
- Symposia — Any event where educational/scientific programming is being presented including CME and non-CME functions held on-site.
- Social Events — Receptions, dinners, alumni events, reunions, and specialty groups where no educational/scientific program is presented. Organizers can hold social events in conjunction with a symposium or independently on-site.
- Meetings — Meetings of exhibitor or department staff and committees. See guidelines for specific information on meeting size and approved hours for small ancillary events.
Event Submission Timeline and Deadline Dates
|Thursday, June 2||Deadline for inclusion in the online Preliminary Program|
|June||Meeting room assignment and facility contact info emailed to organizers|
|June||SfN satellite website listings posted|
|Wednesday, July 27||Start of Late Submission Period. All event requests submitted and/or paid on or after this day will incur a late fee|
|Thursday, August 18||Deadline for inclusion in the final Program and Exhibit Guide
New event listing requests after this day will be posted online only, on SfN website, NMP and Mobile App.
|Late September||Launch of the NMP|
|Mid-October||Launch of the Mobile App|
** Organizers who submit an event request after Thursday, May 5 will be informed of their event status within two weeks of their submission date.
** There is not a cutoff date to submit event requests.
Submission Requirements for Organizers
Each satellite event must have an organizer and a sponsor. The same person can serve as both. The satellite event sponsor, who may provide logistical and/or financial support, must have an SfN membership status and be registered for the annual meeting and/or be a registered exhibitor or annual meeting sponsor (ex. financial sponsor of a featured lecture for Neuroscience 2022).
The organizer of a satellite symposium or ancillary event must have an SfN membership or exhibitor/annual meeting sponsor status as listed below:
- Sustaining Associate (Platinum, Gold, Silver, or Non-Profit)
- Emeritus Member
- Registered Commercial, Non-Profit, or Institute Exhibitor or annual meeting sponsor for Neuroscience 2022. An Exhibitor or annual meeting sponsor can also hold small meetings without an SfN member sponsor, but attendance is limited to the exhibitor's own personnel.
All satellite/ancillary events that request meeting space in an SfN contracted hotel must receive approval from SfN, register the event(s) using the online satellite submission form, and provide the required submission fee payments at the conclusion of the submission form process. SfN accepts credit card payments only. Check payments will not be accepted.
Organizers with outstanding satellite invoices are banned from holding satellite events until the outstanding invoice is paid in full. Submission forms from organizers with outstanding invoices are not considered for review until the outstanding invoice is paid in full.
- Adhere to SfN Guidelines for Meetings and Conferences.
- Identify the sponsor name and category in the submission form.
- Announce at beginning of event that event is not sponsored by SfN.
- Assume financial responsibility for all event expenses.
- Inform SfN contact, in writing, if there are any changes to the event date, timeframe or location.
- Utilize services of SfN's General Contractor for poster board orders at the SfN headquarter hotels.
- Organizers of events assigned to San Diego Convention Center will continue to work directly with SfN regarding all event logistics.
- Organizers are required to utilize the Society's exact meeting room setup for their event.
- Submit all changes, additions, and/or cancellations for audiovisual and logistical equipment, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, August 4.
- Report all on-site changes, additions, and/or cancellations for audiovisual and logistical equipment to email@example.com.
- Pay all post-meeting invoices within 30 days. Organizers are responsible for charges incurred if SfN is not notified of any changes affecting invoicing. Organizers will receive an invoice from SfN after the annual meeting for all actual onsite audiovisual related event charges. The San Diego Convention Center exclusive caterer will directly bill event organizers for all food and beverages ordered.
- Organizers of events assigned to a headquarter hotel:
- Will work directly with the facility contact person regarding all event logistics, but only after receiving the meeting room assignment confirmation from SfN.
- Confirm room assignment(s) and room setup(s) with facility contacts, obtain food and beverage menus, and negotiate all food and beverage costs with the hotel representative. A room rental charge usually applies if significant food and beverage are not ordered by the sponsor. Most hotels do not consider coffee breaks, continental breakfast, and cash bars "significant food and beverage."
- Pays the hotel directly for all event costs to include the audiovisual and food and beverage orders.
- Order all signage for event.
- Place signs outside the door entrance to the event only. Directional signage is prohibited throughout SfN contracted hotels, and the San Diego Convention Center.
- Include "This event is not sponsored by the Society for Neuroscience" on event signage.
- Remove signage and meeting materials (i.e., handouts) from assigned rooms at the event's conclusion. Organizers are charged a cleaning fee for meeting materials left behind.
SfN does not offer CME credits for satellite events. Accredited CME providers can offer credits independently.
To submit an online satellite event request form, users must have an SfN account username and password to log into the satellite event submission site.
The satellite submission form is separate from the exhibitor form and requires an SfN account.
- If you, or someone else in your company, requires an SfN account, please create an account now.
- SfN members requiring assistance in obtaining SfN credentials will need to contact SfN’s Membership Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have any questions regarding the satellite policies or submission process, please contact email@example.com.
Satellite symposia and ancillary events may not conflict with any scientific sessions scheduled during the programmatic hours of the annual meeting.
All events must have some neuroscience content or relevance.
There is no limit on the number of satellite symposia and ancillary events that a member, exhibitor or annual meeting sponsor may organize.
SfN abstract presentations are permitted during satellite events.
SfN will only list events that are open to all annual meeting registrants. Open events that paid the listing fee will be advertised in the online Preliminary Program, final Program and Exhibit Guide, Neuroscience Meeting Planner, on the SfN website, and on the annual meeting mobile app.
All SfN-sponsored and non-sponsored events associated with the annual meeting must adhere to SfN's Guidelines for Meetings and Conferences. Violations may jeopardize events at future annual meetings.
To assist with the online satellite form preparation, the mandatory and optional form field requirements are listed below:
|Event description||500 characters or less, including spaces.|
|Sponsor name and category|
|Optional listing status||Yes or no|
|Facility preferences||One of the SfN headquarters properties, the convention center, or off-site facility|
|Primary contact information||Name, email, company, degree, phone, and website|
|Room set-up requirements||Theater, reception, conference table, banquet rounds, head table, podium, poster boards|
|AV requirements||Yes/No question: Does your event require an a/v setup? An a/v setup may include a screen, projector, cart, cables, timer, mixer, microphone options, AV technician|
|Food and beverage requirements||Yes/No question: Does your event require any food or beverage services to include a breakfast, lunch, dinner, reception, snack breaks?|
- San Diego Convention Center (Rooms set theater style only. Changes to SfN's room set are not accommodated)
- Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina (SfN headquarter hotel – Will accommodate all room sets based on availability)
- Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego (SfN headquarter hotel – Will accommodate all room sets based on availability)
- Hilton San Diego Bayfront (SfN headquarter hotel – Will accommodate all room sets based on availability)
- Off-Site facility within the San Diego Area (Organizers have the option to contract for space on their own)
- Organizers may request meeting space from SfN at the San Diego Convention Center or at one of the SfN headquarter hotels. Meeting space is limited and will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, in the order of date received. Requests for meeting space may only be submitted electronically. Receipt of request form by SfN does not guarantee space assignment.
To request meeting space at one of the SfN headquarter properties or San Diego Convention Center:
- Complete the online submission form and pay the required fees via credit card.
- The request will be reviewed by the SfN Program Committee.
- After review and approval, the event will be assigned a meeting room at one of the annual meeting facilities, based on the availability of function space.
- If the optional listing fee has been paid, the event will be advertised in SfN’s publications and website, Neuroscience Meeting Planner, and annual meeting mobile app.
- Organizer will receive the meeting room assignment, and facility contact information, to work directly with the event manager in the assigned venue to finalize the event logistics and sign a contract for event costs.
The other option is to contract for space at an off-site facility within the San Diego area. Organizers will need to complete a request form and pay the required fees to list the event in the SfN publications and website, Neuroscience Meeting Planner, and annual meeting mobile app.
Scheduling: Approved Dates and Timeframes
Events cannot be scheduled at times that overlap with scheduled SfN annual meeting programming in Pacific Standard Time (PST).
The approved hours for scheduling satellite symposia (scientific meetings) and ancillary events (special group event, reunion, committee meeting, exhibitor/staff meeting, or social gathering) attended by more than 25 individuals (large meetings) with no restriction on attendance or less than 25 individuals (small meetings) are as follows:
|Wednesday, November 9*||All day||All day|
|Thursday, November 10*||All day||All day|
|Friday, November 11**||All day||All day|
|Saturday, November 12||7–10:30 a.m.
|Sunday, November 13||6:30–10 p.m.||11:30 a.m.–1 p.m.|
|Monday, November 14||6:30–10 p.m.||11:30 a.m.–1 p.m.|
|Tuesday, November 15||6:30–9 p.m.||11:30 a.m.–1 p.m.|
|Wednesday, November 16||6:30–9 p.m.||11:30 a.m.–1 p.m.|
Note: Times are all Pacific Standard Time (PST). Breakfast meetings can be held on any day and must conclude by 8 a.m.
*Since SfN does not have meeting rooms available for pre-meeting multi-day events, organizers must contract directly with a venue of their choice within the San Diego area.
**SfN has limited meeting space available on Friday. Organizers requiring more than 4,000 square feet will need to secure meeting space on their own within the San Diego area.
Fees and Refunds
Administrative Fee: $115.00 (Required fee for each event request form submitted online)
Late Fee: $245.00 (Fee is applied to events that are submitted and/or paid on or after Wednesday, July 27)
Listing Fee: $485.00 (This fee covers the event listing in the online Preliminary Program, final Program and Exhibit Guide, Neuroscience Meeting Planner, SfN website, and annual meeting mobile app). Additionally, the link to the SfN website listings will be provided in Nexus (bi-monthly email to SfN members), and Extra! (on-site daily email sent to all registrants).
Refunds: If a satellite event is canceled prior to the printing of the online Preliminary Program, the full listing fee is refunded. If the event is canceled prior to the printing of the final Program and Exhibit Guide, and the event has already been printed in the online Preliminary Program, half of the listing fee will be refunded. Administrative and late fees are non-refundable regardless of cancellation date.
Force Majeure: SfN reserves the right to terminate satellite/ancillary events, without liability or any cancellation charges or any liquidated damages, and with the return of all administrative, listing and late fees contingent on the production status of the Neuroscience Meeting Planner, Preliminary Program, final Program and Exhibit Guide, and the annual meeting mobile app because of the happening or existence of any force majeure condition including but not limited to acts of God, war, strikes, government regulations or advisory (including travel advisory warnings by the government of the United States or the World Health Organization), civil disturbance, terrorism or threats of terrorism in the state where the annual meeting is scheduled or in adjacent states as substantiated by United States' governmental warnings or advisory notices, curtailment of transportation, epidemics, disaster, fire, earthquakes, hurricanes, shortages or disruption of the electrical power supply causing blackouts or rolling blackouts, or any other comparable conditions or circumstances occur in the state where the annual meeting is scheduled or in countries/states of origins of at least thirty percent (30 percent) of the attendees or along their routes of travel, making it commercially impracticable, illegal, or impossible to fully perform under this agreement as the parties originally intended, the affected party may suspend this agreement as to that particular annual meeting, without liability, upon written notification to the other party.
- Assign function room(s) if available and will confirm function room assignment(s) with the organizer and provide the name, address, telephone, and email address of the facility contact(s) by late-June.
- Confirm room setup requirements as requested by the organizer on the submission form to the facility assigned by late-June.
- For events assigned to the San Diego Convention Center, SfN will order the audiovisual equipment from SfN’s audiovisual vendor as requested on the submission form by the organizer and approved by SfN.
- Provide poster board orders to the General Contractor, who will confirm the orders directly with the event organizer.
- For events assigned to the co-headquarter hotels, SfN will provide the audiovisual equipment and poster board orders and meeting room setup requirements to the hotel contact person, audiovisual vendor, and General Contractor, who will confirm directly with the event organizers.
- Prepare invoices for events that are held at the San Diego Convention Center and will send the invoices, via email, to the organizers after the annual meeting. The invoice will include all actual on-site event charges.
- SfN is not responsible for any event changes that are not communicated to SfN in writing.
Organizers who submit an event request after Thursday, May 5 will be informed of their event status within two weeks of their submission date.
The following actions are permitted to take place during satellite or ancillary events.
- Distribute commercial product literature during satellite or ancillary events. (Speakers may refer to a product as a reference tool during presentations.)
- Conduct drawings or award gifts to meeting attendees throughout the event. (Organizers must adhere to the exhibitor guidelines for giveaways. Coming soon.)
- Swipe SfN annual meeting badges with electronic readers during their events; however, this process must be optional for attendees and there must be an alternate check-in method if attendees do not wish to have their badge scanned.
- Prior to the event, organizers may display approved promotional fliers in the Literature Display Bins within the Registration Area located in the San Diego Convention Center.
The following actions are not permitted to take place during satellite or ancillary events. A violation of these guidelines may place your satellite event in jeopardy for future years.
- Conducting demonstrations and/or displays of commercial products. (Speakers may refer to a product as a reference tool during presentations.)
- Distributing commercial products.
- Distributing promotional literature such as door drops in SfN contracted hotels; attaching adhesive-backed promotional material to facility walls/doors/columns; or distributing promotional business/postcards and/or fliers in the registration area, poster session and/or exhibit floor areas, and corridors of the San Diego Convention Center, in any official SfN contracted hotel, and at SfN events. (Organizers will be financially responsible for any damages to facilities from these activities.)
- Using the Society's name, acronym, or logo on signage, website URLs, email subject lines, or marketing materials.
- The Society for Neuroscience name and acronym, logo, meeting name, and meeting logo are the property of the Society and may not be used without prior written permission. References may be made to the annual meeting as listed: Neuroscience 2022, San Diego, CA, November 12–16.