The NeuroAdvocate Challenge
SfN’s NeuroAdvocate Challenge paves the way for further advancements in neuroscience by connecting participants with policymakers and the public locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Connect with your local or national neuroscience society.
- With nearly 160 SfN chapter members across the globe, you can be a more effective advocate in your community by partnering with a local chapter.
- Ask your Representative to join the Congressional Neuroscience Caucus and Senators to join the NIH Caucus if they have not already done so.
- These neuroscience-related caucuses provide an opportunity for congresspeople to discuss and pursue common legislative objectives, as well as fight for more funding in the biomedical sciences. Ask your legislators to join these caucuses today!
- Watch clips of floor speeches from former Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) and Rep. Jerry McNerney (D-CA) to familiarize yourself with how the US Congress talks about brain research.
- House and Senate floor speeches are formal addresses delivered by Members of Congress to their entire chamber. Former Rep. Ros-Lehtinen speaks on brain research in her district, while Rep. McNerney speaks on support for federal investments in brain research.
- Learn what advocacy activities are most effective when engaging with your lawmakers.
- Understand how to engage your lawmakers by checking out this video from SfN’s Neuroscientist’s Guide to Advocacy series. The video covers options available for engagement, their impact, and how to choose activities that fit your comfort level.
- Connect with an international colleague and learn how other countries fund and prioritize basic biomedical research.
- Learn about the Dana Alliance for Brain Initiatives’ Brain Awareness Campaign, which hosts the annual Brain Awareness Week.
- Find out how to get involved and inform your policymakers and elected officials on the importance of brain research. This year’s Brain Awareness Week will be March 16–22.
Over the past 50 years, SfN members and other neuroscientists across the globe have been building an interdisciplinary society aimed at advancing scientific exchange, supporting the neuroscience community, educating and engaging the public, and advocating for the field.
In this landmark year, SfN aims to provide an outlet for NeuroAdvocates to come together to show their dedication to the field. As such, SfN has rolled out the NeuroAdvocate Challenge!
- All past, present, and future NeuroAdvocates are invited to compete in this challenge, regardless of location and experience.
- The challenge is comprised of advocacy activities that can be carried out alongside SfN from Neuroscience 2019 to December of 2020.
- Active NeuroAdvocates will be recognized and will have the chance to attend SfN’s 15th Capitol Hill Day in 2021.
- In order to participate and be eligible, you must sign-up for the challenge. Participants may sign up for the challenge at any time between October 2019 and December 2020, and do not need to attend annual meetings to participate.
- In order to be recognized for your accomplishments, please report back and let SfN know what activities you have carried out.
Questions? Reach out to us at email@example.com.