The NeuroAdvocate Challenge
SfN’s NeuroAdvocate Challenge paves the way for further advancements in neuroscience by connecting participants with policymakers and the public locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Email your legislators to support SfN’s Congressional ‘asks’ for neuroscience.
- Each year, SfN works alongside other science coalitions to develop concrete ‘asks’ to relay to Congressional offices. The asks this year include specific funding levels for federal science agencies, support for the use of animals in research, and support for global collaboration in research.
- Ask your Representative to join the Congressional Neuroscience Caucus and Senators to join the NIH Caucus if they have not already done so.
- These neuroscience-related caucuses provide an opportunity for congresspeople to discuss and pursue common legislative objectives, as well as fight for more funding in the biomedical sciences. Ask your legislators to join these caucuses today.
- Download SfN’s Advocacy App to effectively advocate for neuroscience anytime, anywhere.
- Watch videos on how to share your personal story and how to conduct an effective meeting with a congressional office.
- Write, rewrite, and practice telling your story. Share your story with SfN when reporting challenge activities and email email@example.com to receive individual feedback on how to effectively communicate your story with Congressional offices. Make sure to also share your story on social media using #NeuroAdvocate.
About the Challenge
Over the past 50 years, SfN members and other neuroscientists across the globe have been building an interdisciplinary society aimed at advancing scientific exchange, supporting the neuroscience community, educating and engaging the public, and advocating for the field.
In this landmark year, SfN aims to provide an outlet for NeuroAdvocates to come together to show their dedication to the field. As such, SfN has rolled out the NeuroAdvocate Challenge!
- All past, present, and future NeuroAdvocates are invited to compete in this challenge, regardless of location and experience.
- The challenge is comprised of advocacy activities that can be carried out alongside SfN from Neuroscience 2019 to December of 2020.
- Active NeuroAdvocates will be recognized and will have the chance to attend SfN’s 15th Capitol Hill Day in 2021.
- In order to participate and be eligible, you must sign-up for the challenge. Participants may sign up for the challenge at any time between October 2019 and December 2020, and do not need to attend annual meetings to participate.
- In order to be recognized for your accomplishments, please report back and let SfN know what activities you have carried out.
Questions? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.