Celebration of Women in Neuroscience Event
SfN honors women with the Celebration of Women in Neuroscience event each year at the SfN annual meeting.
2023 Celebration of Women in Neuroscience Event
The annual Celebration of Women in Neuroscience Event honors female leaders in neuroscience. This year's event will feature a panel discussion moderated by Marguerite Matthews, PhD featuring Eartha Mae Guthman, PhD, Tomomi Karigo, PhD, and Jean King, PhD on intersectionality in neuroscience and how women from across multiple backgrounds navigate the challenges of career transitions.
Past Celebration of Women in Neuroscience Events
The 2022 Celebration of Women in Neuroscience event honored female leaders in neuroscience. During the 2022 event, Jill Becker, PhD moderated a panel discussion featuring Anita Disney, PhD, Yukiko Goda, PhD, and Michelle Jones-London, PhD. The panelists discussed the impacts of COVID-19 and how neuroscientists navigated this challenge and found success.
The Celebration of Women in Neuroscience Event took place on Tuesday, November 15 in San Diego, California.
Previous events have featured panel discussions that have been moderated by Courtney Miller, PhD and Marina Picciotto, PhD and keynote speeches by Maria Victoria Puig, PhD, Maria Neimark Geffen, PhD and Marian Joëls, PhD. You can find video recordings of past events on Neuronline.
- The 2021 panel discussion was held virtually on Monday, November 8th from 12 – 1 p.m ET. Diane Lipscombe, PhD moderated a panel discussion featuring Carmen Sandi, PhD, Shubha Tole, PhD, and Nora Volkow, PhD. The panelists discussed their paths to success, the importance of gender equity for advancing scientific discovery, and the gaps and potential solutions toward an inclusive, global neuroscience community.
- View the 2019 panel discussion "Celebrating 50 Years of Women in Neuroscience," moderated by Kay Tye, PhD and featuring Huda Akil PhD, Carol Mason, PhD, and Carla Shatz, PhD.
- View the 2018 event panel discussion, "How to Self-Advocate for Your Science and Career," moderated by Courtney Miller, PhD and featuring Yasmin Hurd, PhD, Susan Magsamen, MAS, and Emilie Marcus, PhD
- View the 2017 event panel discussion, "How to Advocate for Yourself and Other Women in Neuroscience," moderated by Marina Picciotto, PhD and featuring Tracy Bale, PhD, Joanne Berger-Sweeney, PhD, and Indira Raman, PhD
- View the 2016 event keynote address, “How to Navigate Cultural Diversity: Tips for Making the Best of Your Experience Abroad” featuring keynote speaker Maria Victoria Puig, PhD