Trainee Professional Development Award Frequently Asked Questions
What is the submission open and close timeline?
SfN will accept Trainee Professional Development Award applications from June 17, 2022 until June 30, 2022 at 5:00 PM Eastern U.S. time (ET).
What do Trainee Professional Development Award (TDPA) recipients receive?
TPDA recipients who select to attend Neuroscience 2022 in-person are provided complimentary registration to attend Neuroscience 2022 on-site in San Diego, CA. Additionally, North American recipients receive a $1,000 travel stipend and international recipients receive a $2,500 travel stipend.
TPDA recipients who are not able to attend Neuroscience 2022 in-person are provided complimentary registration to the Neuroscience 2022 Virtual Component. No travel stipends are provided.
All TPDA recipients, regardless of whether they attend Neuroscience 2022 in-person or the Virtual Component, receive year-round access to the TPDA Neuronline Community and professional development resources in the year following their award.
Are Trainee Professional Development Award recipients required to attend Neuroscience 2022 in-person in San Diego, CA?
In order to receive a travel stipend, TPDA recipients are required to attend Neuroscience 2022 (November 12-16) in person. Further instructions on verifying attendance will be provided.
When will recipients be notified that they have received a Trainee Professional Development Award?
Award recipients will be notified of receipt of the award by early September.
Will all applicants receive notification of their award status?
Yes, all applicants will be notified of their award status by early September.
How are recipients selected?
Awards are distributed based on the merit of the trainee’s application.
Do applicants need to be nominated by someone else for consideration?
No, applicants may nominate themselves for a Trainee Professional Development Award.
How do applicants apply?
Applications are submitted via the online application portal, available on the TPDA page when applications are open.
What are the required application components?
To apply, applicants must submit:
- Copy of the applicant’s abstract submission form for the upcoming SfN annual meeting including both the control/tracking number and the complete abstract.
- Applicant’s CV, including education, honors/awards, and publications (abstracts and manuscripts).
- Short essay (no more than 500 words) on how attendance at Neuroscience 2022 will impact your career goals (or, for undergraduates, why you chose the path of neuroscience). Additionally, the essay should speak to a personal experience that has had a broader impact on your career in science. Examples of topics include:
- A woman scientist who has inspired the applicant
- The importance of local advocacy and outreach efforts in neuroscience
- The importance of conducting rigorous science.
- One-page letter of recommendation from the applicant’s mentor, advisor, chapter representative or program/department chair. Any recommendation letter over one page will void the entire application
Will applications be reviewed if components are missing?
No. Applications that are missing one or more of the application components will not be considered.
Can applicants submit information in addition to or instead of the application components requested?
No. Applications that are submitted with materials not requested will be voided and not reviewed.
What are the eligibility requirements needed to apply for a Trainee Professional Development Award?
To be considered for a Trainee Professional Development Award, applicants must be:
- The presenting author of an abstract to be presented at the SfN annual meeting
- Only one application per abstract is permitted. Multiple applications with the same abstract will be ineligible. Please coordinate with other authors on your abstract submission to avoid ineligibility. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A member of SfN
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate, graduate, or completing postdoctoral fellowship, or have completed one of these programs in the same calendar year the award is given (2022).
Are individuals eligible for a Trainee Professional Development Award if they did not submit an abstract?
No. To be considered eligible for a Trainee Professional Development Award, applicants must submit an abstract.
Do applicants need to be a current SfN member to be considered eligible?
Yes. Only current SfN members are eligible for Trainee Professional Development Awards.
Can individuals apply for a Trainee Professional Development Award if they completed or will have completed their current program before recipients are selected?
Yes. Applicants are considered eligible if they are currently enrolled in or completed an undergraduate or graduate program, or a postdoctoral fellowship in the same calendar year the award is given (2022).
Does receipt of a Trainee Professional Development Award in 2021 make an individual ineligible to apply in 2022?
Yes. SfN has reverted to the normal eligibility requirements. Receipt of a Trainee Professional Development Award for Neuroscience 2021 will disqualify an individual for receiving it during the current calendar year (2022).
Can an eligible individual be a recipient of another SfN travel award in the same or previous calendar year?
No, eligible individuals cannot be a recipient of another SfN travel award (e.g., JNS, FENS, IBRO travel awards) in the same or previous calendar year (2021).
Yes. Postbaccalaureate students are eligible for a Trainee Professional Development Award if they are currently enrolled in their current program or completed the program in the same calendar year the award is given (2022).
Professional Development Opportunities
What type of web-based learning will award recipients have access to?
Award recipients will have access to curated professional development opportunities on Neuronline, SfN’s home for learning and discussion.
How often will recipients receive TPDA-related emails throughout the year following their award?
Award recipients will receive TPDA-related emails on a tri-annual basis.
Are recipients required to attend specific events during the annual meeting?
Yes. TPDA recipients who are confirmed to attend Neuroscience 2022 in-person are required to attend:
- The TPDA poster session (currently scheduled for Saturday, November 12).
- At least two professional development workshops.
Will recipients be asked to complete anything following the annual meeting?
Yes. TPDA recipients will be asked to complete a post-event survey following the annual meeting; this will be provided to recipients digitally.
Will recipients be reimbursed for SfN annual meeting registration if they register in advance of award notification?
Yes. All TPDA recipients receive complimentary registration for both virtual and in-person attendance to Neuroscience 2022. If you register for SfN’s annual meeting before receiving the award, staff will process your reimbursement.
How do recipients access their complimentary registration?
Award recipients will receive a unique registration link to their complimentary registration following notification of receipt of the award.