The Brain Bee, a neuroscience competition for secondary students, begins with local competitions that feed into national and international competitions.
SfN hosts the DC Regional Brain Bee, supports U.S. National and International Brain Bees, and arranges scientific lab internships for the U.S. national and international winners. The Brain Bee was launched and is led by Norbert Myslinski at the University of Maryland, Baltimore.
Many individual SfN members dedicate extensive time and expertise in communities worldwide, serving as judges, coaches, mentors and volunteers. Find a Brain Bee close to you and volunteer!
For information on how to get involved in the DC Brain Bee, contact email@example.com.
- 2014 International Brain Bee: August 7-10
For information on the U.S. and International Brain Bees, contact Norbert Myslinski.
Create a Brain Bee in Your Community:
Because Brain Bees
are grassroots competitions, anyone is eligible to sponsor.
- Register your competition for your winner to be eligible for the National and International Brain Bees. Find your National Brain Bee coordinator and register at internationalbrainbee.com.
- Seek advice or collaborate with other Brain Bees near you. Contact local secondary school science teachers, department heads, and principals to see if they have students who would be interested. Each bee should involve students from at least three schools or home school groups.
- Share copies of SfN’s Brain Facts book with each student competitor. Use the book as the basis for all questions and answers at the Brain Bee.
- Reserve a high school auditorium or gym, or find space at a local college campus to host the bee.
- At least one neuroscientist must be involved in each Bee. Find other neuroscientists to help moderate or judge via the Neuroscientist-Teacher Partnership or SfN Chapters.
- Advertise the event. A Brain Bee with news coverage is an excellent way to promote brain awareness.
- Bees must be free and open to all interested students. No audio or video recording of competitions is permitted.