Weekly Advocacy News Roundup
July 27, 2017 | Scientific American
The positions of presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump on biomedical research, stem cell research, education, and other topics have begun to emerge as we approach the presidential election. The two candidates have very different views on these topics and on the role of science; Clinton has described science and innovation as a foundation for the future, while science is not mentioned as frequently by Trump.
- Join the Advocacy Network to stay informed on issues related to neuroscience research at SfN.org.
July 20, 2016 | Science Insider
The aftermath of a failed coup attempt in Turkey has had serious impacts on higher education with estimates stating that 15,000 staff members of the ministry of education were fired, 21,000 teachers lost their professional licenses, and more than 1500 university deans were all but ordered to resign. In addition, the government has asked universities to call back Turkish academics from abroad.
- Find science funding resources at SfN.org.
July 20, 2016 | Nature
The Netherlands launched the world's first fund dedicated to replication studies. €3 million (US$3.3 million) over the next three years will be available for Dutch scientists to test whether they can reproduce research results in social and medical science fields. The pilot program was announced by the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research.
- Watch webinars on scientific rigor and reproducibility at Neuronline.
Articles of Interest
July 19, 2016 | The Atlantic
A new study has shown that Zika infects neural stem cells at least partially by acting on a specific receptor- the AXL receptor. The study also shows the potential of an antibiotic in preventing the virus from replicating in infected cells. This work was done with fetal brain slices, and the findings may help researchers develop treatments for Zika.
- Learn more about Zika and the brain at BrainFacts.org.
July 26, 2016 | EurekAlert
A new study in rhesus monkeys identified the brain regions and circuits associated with risk taking. The monkeys were given the 50-50 choice between a small amount of juice, or, a chance at double the amount of juice or nothing at all. The monkeys frequently made the risky choice, and researchers identified a group of neurons that were selectively suppressed when making the risky choice.
- Learn more about neural network function at BrainFacts.org.
July 26, 2016 | Nature
Support for a “thriving fundamental research base” can’t be taken for granted, and it is important that the scientific community continues to find ways to show the successes and importance of basic research. To this end, the European Research Council analyzed a set of basic research projects and found that almost 75% generated a scientific breakthrough or advance, and the other 25% had or might have an impact on the economy or society.
- Read a message from SfN President Hollis Cline about the importance of basic research at SfN.org.