Tell Congress to Support Biomedical Research Efforts Impacted by COVID-19 and Urge Them to Support Neuroscience Priorities in FY 2022
Join your fellow NeuroAdvocates and tell Congress to support the Research Investment to Spark the Economy (RISE) Act, which authorizes nearly $25 billion for research impacted by COVID-19, including $10 billion for the National Institutes of Health and $3 billion for the National Science Foundation. Send your Representative and Senators a message via SfN’s Advocacy Action Center.
Presidential Budget Expected Soon
President Biden is set to release a preliminary budget soon. It will not be a full Presidential Budget, but it will be enough for Congress to begin their appropriations process.
SfN’s 2021 Hill Day!
SfN had a successful Hill Day in March. Thank you to everyone who made their voices heard through social media and in congressional meetings. Check out the NQ piece highlighting details of our 15th annual event.
Notice of Limited Availability of Research Non-Human Primates (NHP)
Scientists conducting COVID-19 research studies involving NHP-species housed at the ORIP-supported National Primate Research Centers or facilities are requested to submit information to the NIH COVID-19 Expert Panel. See the Notice for more details.
Tell Congress to OPPOSE Humane Research and Testing Act of 2021
Representatives Alcee Hastings (D-FL) and Vern Buchanan (R- FL) have reintroduced the Humane Research and Testing Act (H.R. 1744) in the U.S. House of Representatives. NABR has pre-written a statement you can email to your members of Congress to OPPOSE this bill.
Register for a Congressional Briefing Hosted by ABC and the CNC
The American Brain Coalition, partnered with the Congressional Neuroscience Caucus, is hosting a virtual briefing on COVID-19 and PTSD among healthcare workers April 28, 2021 12:00 p.m. EDT. Register here.
The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on the Extramural Scientific Workforce
An NIH-led study looked at the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on the extramural science workforce.
SfN Advocacy Resources
- Introduce yourself to the new Congress via the Advocacy Action Center.
- Watch the Neuroscientist's Guide to Advocacy series to understand the tools you need to help advance the field.
- Learn how to engage your members of Congress and persuasively advocate for science with SfN's Advocacy Best Practices.
- Get involved in global advocacy.
- Talk to the public about the importance of animal research.
- Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance in preparing for your next advocacy effort at home or on Capitol Hill.