Satellite Event Policies
- Event Categories
- Event Submission Timeline and Deadline Dates
- Submission Requirements for Organizers
- Event Requirements
- Venue Options
- Scheduling: Approved Dates and Time-Frames
- Fees and Refunds
- Organizer Responsibilities
- SfN Responsibilities
- Approved Actions
- Prohibited Actions
- Symposia — Event where educational/scientific programming is being presented including CME and non-CME functions.
- Social Events — Receptions, dinners, alumni events, reunions, and specialty groups where no educational/scientific program is presented. Organizers can hold social events in conjunction with a symposium or independently.
- Meetings — Ancillary exhibitor, department staff, or committee meetings. See guidelines for specific information on meeting size and approved hours.
Event Submission Timeline and Deadline Dates
|Monday, March 2||Satellite submission opens|
|Thursday, May 28||Deadline for inclusion in the online Preliminary Program|
|Friday, May 29||Start of Late Submission Period. All event requests submitted and/or paid on or after this day will incur a $235 late fee|
|June||SfN satellite website listings posted|
|Early July||Meeting room assignment and facility contact info emailed to organizers|
|Tuesday, August 25||Deadline for inclusion in the final Program (distributed on-site)
New event listing requests after this day will be posted online only, on SfN website, NMP and Mobile App.
|Late September||Launch of the NMP|
|Late September||Launch of the Mobile App|
|Wednesday, October 28||Deadline for Late Event Submissions|
** Organizers who submit an event request after Friday, May 1, will be informed of their event status within two weeks of their submission date.
Submission Requirements for Organizers
- Each satellite event must have an organizer and a sponsor. The same person can serve as both. The event sponsor, who may provide logistical and/or financial support, must have an SfN membership status and/or be a registered exhibitor for Neuroscience 2020.
- The organizer and the sponsor of a satellite symposium or ancillary event must have an SfN membership or Exhibitor status as listed below:
- Sustaining Associate (Platinum, Gold, Silver, or Non-Profit)
- Emeritus Member
- Registered Commercial, Non-Profit, or Institute Exhibitor for Neuroscience 2020. An exhibitor can also hold small meetings without a member sponsor, but attendance is limited to the exhibitor's own personnel.
- Satellite symposia and ancillary events may not conflict with any scientific sessions scheduled during the week of the annual meeting.
- All events must have some neuroscience content or relevance.
- SfN will only list events held within the Washington, D.C. area and are open to all annual meeting registrants. Open events that paid the listing fee will be advertised in the Preliminary Program, final Program, Neuroscience Meeting Planner, on the SfN website, and on the annual meeting mobile app.
- All SfN-sponsored and non-sponsored events associated with the annual meeting must adhere to SfN's Guidelines for Meetings and Conferences. Violations may jeopardize events at future annual meetings.
Satellite form preparation: See the mandatory and optional form field requirements below:
|Event description||500 characters or less, including spaces|
|Sponsor name and category|
|Optional listing status||Yes or no|
|Facility preferences||One of the SfN headquarters properties, the convention center, or an off-site facility|
|Primary contact information||Name, email, company, degree, phone, and website|
|Room set-up requirements||Theater, reception, conference table, banquet rounds, head table, podium, poster boards, etc.|
|AV requirements||Screen, projector, cart, cables, timer, mixer, microphone options, AV technician|
|Food and beverage requirements||Breakfast, lunch, dinner, reception, snack breaks, etc.|
|Venue||Room Set Options|
|Walter E. Washington Convention Center||Existing room set only. Changes will not be accommodated.|
|SfN Headquarters Hotels (Renaissance Downtown Washington D.C. or Marriott Marquis D.C.)||Accommodates all room sets based on availability|
|Off-Site Facility within the Washington, D.C. Area||Organizers contract for space independently|
- If requesting space from the convention center or an SfN headquarter hotel, please note:
- Meeting space is limited and will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, in the order of date received.
- Requests may only be submitted electronically. Receipt of request form by SfN does not guarantee space assignment.
- To request meeting space at one of the SfN headquarter properties or Walter E. Washington Convention Center:
- Complete the online submission form and pay the required fees via credit card.
- The request will be reviewed by the SfN Program Committee.
- After review and approval, the event will be assigned a meeting room at one of the annual meeting facilities, based on the availability of function space.
- If the optional listing fee has been paid, the event will be advertised on SfN’s website listing, and in SfN’s printed publications.
- Organizer will receive the meeting room assignment and facility contact information to work directly with the event manager in the assigned venue to finalize the event logistics and sign a contract for event costs.
- If contracting for space at an off-site facility within the Washington, D.C. area:
- Complete a request form and pay the required fees to list the event in the SfN publications and website, NMP, and mobile app.
Scheduling: Approved Dates and Time-Frames
|Tuesday, October 20*||All day||All day|
|Wednesday, October 21*||All day||All day|
|Thursday, October 22*||All day||All day|
|Friday, October 23**||All day||All day|
|Saturday, October 24||7–10:30 a.m.
|Sunday, October 25||6:30–10 p.m.||11:30 a.m.–1 p.m.|
|Monday, October 26||6:30–10 p.m.||11:30 a.m.–1 p.m.|
|Tuesday, October 27||6:30–9 p.m.||11:30 a.m.–1 p.m.|
|Wednesday, October 28||6:30–9 p.m.||11:30 a.m.–1 p.m.|
Note: Times are all in Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). Breakfast meetings can be held on any day and must conclude by 8 a.m.
*Since SfN does not have meeting rooms available for multi-day events from Tuesday – Friday, organizers must contract directly with a venue of their choice within the Washington, D.C. area.
**SfN has limited meeting space available on Friday. Organizers requiring more than 4,000 square feet will need to secure meeting space on their own within the Washington, D.C. area.
Fees and Refunds
|Administrative Fee: $110||Required fee for each event request form submitted online. SfN accepts credit card payments only. Check payments will not be accepted. If an invoice is unpaid after 30 days, SfN will charge the credit card number the organizer submitted online.|
|Late Fee: $235||Fee is applied to events that are submitted and/or paid on or after Friday, May 29.|
|Listing Fee: $460||This fee covers the event listing in the online Preliminary Program, final Program, Neuroscience Meeting Planner, SfN website, and annual meeting mobile app. Additionally, the link to the SfN website listings will be provided in Nexus (bi-monthly email to SfN members) and Extra! (on-site daily email sent to all registrants).|
|Refunds||If a satellite event is canceled prior to the posting of the online Preliminary Program, the $460 fee is refunded. If the event is canceled prior to the printing of the final Program, and the event has already been posted in the online Preliminary Program, half of the listing fee will be refunded in the amount of $230. Administrative and late fees are non-refundable regardless of cancellation date.|
|Force Majeure||SfN reserves the right to terminate satellite/ancillary events, without liability or any cancellation charges or any liquidated damages, and with the return of all administrative, listing and late fees contingent on the production status of the Neuroscience Meeting Planner, Preliminary Program, final Program, and the annual meeting mobile app because of the happening or existence of any force majeure condition including but not limited to acts of God, war, strikes, government regulations or advisory (including travel advisory warnings by the government of the United States or the World Health Organization), civil disturbance, terrorism or threats of terrorism in the state where the annual meeting is scheduled or in adjacent states as substantiated by United States' governmental warnings or advisory notices, curtailment of transportation, epidemics, disaster, fire, earthquakes, hurricanes, shortages or disruption of the electrical power supply causing blackouts or rolling blackouts, or any other comparable conditions or circumstances occur in the state where the annual meeting is scheduled or in countries/states of origins of at least thirty percent (30 percent) of the attendees or along their routes of travel, making it commercially impracticable, illegal, or impossible to fully perform under this agreement as the parties originally intended, the affected party may suspend this agreement as to that particular annual meeting, without liability, upon written notification to the other party.|
- Adhere to SfN Guidelines for Meetings and Conferences.
- Identify the sponsor name and category in the submission form.
- Announce at beginning of event that event is not sponsored by SfN.
- Assume financial responsibility for all event expenses.
- Inform SfN contact, in writing, if there are any changes to the event date, timeframe or location.
- Utilize services of SfN's General Contractor for poster board orders at the SfN headquarter hotels.
- Organizers of events assigned to Walter E. Washington Convention Center:
- Work directly with SfN regarding all event logistics.
- Utilize the Society's exact meeting room setup for their event.
- Submit all changes, additions, and/or cancellations for audiovisual and logistical equipment, via email to email@example.com by Monday, August 3.
- Report all on-site changes, additions, and/or cancellations for audiovisual and logistical equipment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pay all post-meeting invoices with 30 days. Organizers are responsible for charges incurred if SfN is not notified of any changes affecting invoicing. Organizers will receive an invoice from SfN after the annual meeting for all audiovisual related event charges. The Walter E. Washington Convention Center exclusive caterer will directly bill event organizers for all food and beverage orders.
- Organizers of events assigned to a headquarter hotel:
- Work directly with the facility contact person regarding all event logistics, but only after receiving the meeting room assignment confirmation from SfN.
- Confirm room assignment(s) and room setup(s) with facility contacts, obtain food and beverage menus, and negotiate all food and beverage costs with the hotel representative. A room rental charge usually applies if significant food and beverage are not ordered by the sponsor. Most hotels do not consider coffee breaks, continental breakfast, and cash bars "significant food and beverage."
- Pay the hotel directly for all event costs, to include the audiovisual and food and beverage orders.
- Order all signage for event.
- Place signs outside the door entrance to the event only. Directional signage is prohibited throughout SfN contracted hotels, and the Walter E. Washington Convention Center.
- Include "This event is not sponsored by the Society for Neuroscience" on event signage.
- Remove signage and meeting materials (i.e., handouts) from assigned rooms at the event's conclusion. Organizers are charged a cleaning fee for meeting materials left behind.
*SfN does not offer CME credits for satellite events. Accredited CME providers can offer credits independently.
- Assign function room(s) if available and confirm function room assignment(s) with the organizer by early July.
- Confirm room setup requirements as requested by the organizer on the form to the facility assigned by early July.
- For events assigned to Walter E. Washington Convention Center, order the a/v equipment from SfN’s a/v vendor as requested on the submission form by the organizer and approved by SfN.
- Provide poster board orders to the General Contractor, who will confirm the orders directly with the event organizer.
- For events assigned to the co-headquarter hotels, SfN will provide the logistical information on the submission from to the hotel contact person.
- Prepare invoices for events that are held at Walter E. Washington Convention Center and send the invoices, via email, to the organizers after the annual meeting. The invoice will include all actual on-site a/v event charges.
- SfN is not responsible for any event changes that are not communicated to SfN in writing.
The following actions are permitted to take place during satellite or ancillary events.
|Distribute commercial product literature during satellite or ancillary events. (Speakers may refer to a product as a reference tool during presentations.)|
|Conduct drawings or award gifts to meeting attendees throughout the event. (Organizers must adhere to the exhibitor guidelines for giveaways.)
|Swipe SfN annual meeting badges with electronic readers during their events; however, this process must be optional for attendees and there must be an alternate check-in method if attendees do not wish to have their badge scanned.|
|Prior to the event, organizers may display approved promotional fliers in the Literature Display Bins within the Registration Area located in the Walter E. Washington Convention Center.|
The following actions are not permitted to take place during satellite or ancillary events. A violation of these guidelines may place your satellite event in jeopardy for future years.
|Conducting demonstrations and/or displays of commercial products. (Speakers may refer to a product as a reference tool during presentations.)|
|Distributing commercial products.|
|Distributing promotional literature such as door drops in SfN contracted hotels; attaching adhesive-backed promotional material to facility walls/doors/columns; or distributing promotional business/postcards and/or fliers in the registration area, poster session and/or exhibit floor areas, and corridors of the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, in any official SfN contracted hotel, and at SfN events. (Organizers will be financially responsible for any damages to facilities from these activities.)|
|Using the Society's name, acronym, or logo on signage, website URLs, email subject lines, or marketing materials.|
|The Society for Neuroscience name and acronym, logo, meeting name, and meeting logo are the property of the Society and may not be used without prior written permission. References may be made to the annual meeting as listed: Neuroscience 2020, Washington, D.C., October 24-28.|