Quick Tips for Point Person (or University Counsel)
- Understand investigators have a legitimate fear for their personal safety and the safety of their families.
- Inform all involved parties quickly: short deadlines require everyone to know about an inquiry as quickly as possible.
- Be aware of commonly requested documents.
- Have a full understanding of both the federal FOIA and state open records laws – recognize the differences – carefully consider which records are not subject to disclosure or may be redacted.
- Request additional time to respond, if needed.
- Communicate with investigators.