The Finance Committee assists the Council in its fiscal management responsibilities, overseeing annual budgeting and financial practices, reviewing financial best practices, and making recommendations in accordance with SfN's mission and objectives.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Review and recommend to Council the proposed budget for the next fiscal year.
- Review and recommend to Council changes to multi-year planning targets, future price increases, and the multi-year reserve strategy.
- Review the audit outcomes with the chair of the Audit Committee.
- Oversee grants and development initiatives.
- Oversee activities related to the leasing, management, and long-term maintenance of the SfN headquarters building.
The Finance Committee shall assist the SfN Council in its oversight responsibilities relating to prudent fiscal management. The Committee, working in conjunction with Council, will review and monitor the annual budgeting and financial practices of the Society. Through research and review of data, and with consideration of best management practices, the Committee will make recommendations to the Council that will enable the Society to fulfill its mission and objectives.
- Review financial updates consisting of the most current forecast and forecast trend for the Professional Society.
- Review the most current month's variance report for 1121 Properties, LLC.
- Monitor leasing activity and final lease agreements for 1121 14th St.
- Monitor the past fiscal year's results, which consists of a variance of actual to budget, and the audit outcome for both the Professional Society and 1121 Properties, LLC.
- Review the proposed operating budget, including various fee changes, for the Professional Society and 1121 Properties, LLC for the coming fiscal year. After review and amendment, if necessary, the Committee will recommend the final operating budgets to Council for approval.
- Review the multi-year planning targets annually and advise Council on their benefit in financial planning for the Society, especially as it relates to the reserve strategy.
- Advise the Investment Committee, in cooperation with Council, regarding the investment policy in the context of the Society's overall budget and long-term financial vision.
- Review and amend, if necessary, proposals for Strategic Initiatives to be funded by the Strategic Investment Fund (SIF). Determine if projects are deemed strategic in nature and recommend SIF funded projects to Council, as appropriate.
- Recommend an overall pricing strategy to Council for approval.
- Annually review and recommend, as necessary, modifications to the pricing strategy.
- Move funds to the investment portfolio on a regular basis, utilizing cash flow analysis and optimizing the cash usage by utilizing a line of credit.
- Update the reserve strategy based on current investment returns, revenue and spending projections, and risk assessment, in conjunction with the Investment Committee.
- Oversee the management of the Society's bank accounts.
- Oversee the management of the Strategic Investment Fund.
- Develop a sound and consistent pricing strategy that reflects the goals of Council.
- Review and approve annual fee increases necessary to support the business and program plans.
Coordinate and Communicate
- Coordinate activities with the other committees in the Finance Cluster, which also includes the Audit Committee and the Investment Committee. The chair will serve as the committee's representative on the cluster steering committee.
The committee is composed of the Treasurer (as chair) and regular members, who serve a five-year term. The investment committee chair, past Treasurer and the Treasurer-Elect will each serve as ex officio members of the committee. Committee members are recommended by the Committee on Committees and approved by Council.
The committee meets three times per year, in the Spring prior to the Spring Council meeting, in the Summer prior to the Summer Council meeting, and during the annual meeting.
Pittman, Quentin J
Hotchkiss Brain Institute
Univ Eastern Finland
Sved, Alan F
University of Pittsburgh Department of Neuroscience
DiCicco-Bloom, Emanuel M
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Ducotterd, Fiona E.
University of Ottawa
Segal, Rosalind A
Harvard Medical School Graduate Program In Neuroscience
Spitzer, Nicholas C
UCSD Dept. of Neurobiology
McAllister, A. Kimberley K.
Przedborski, Serge E
|Ex Officio Members
Maynard, Kenneth I
Takeda Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Dingledine, Raymond J
Emory Univ Sch Med