Start or Reactivate a Chapter
Interested in starting or reactivating a chapter? First visit SfN's Chapter Directory to determine whether there is a chapter in your area. If there is no chapter in your area, you may submit a petition to start a new chapter. In the event the local chapter is inactive, you may reactivate the existing chapter.
The Global Membership Committee reviews chapter petitions twice a year, during their Spring and Fall meetings, and makes recommendations to the SfN Council.
Please submit completed petitions to firstname.lastname@example.org during the months of February or August to ensure they are reviewed in a timely manner.
Start a New Chapter
To start a new chapter, follow these guidelines:
- Submit a Chapter Petition Form signed by 10 active Regular or Emeritus SfN members in the same geographic region.
- Student Members may initiate the process but will need to engage 10 Regular Members as signatories on the pertition.
- A prospective chapter may only submit a petition if a local chapter does not already exist.
- A chapter must adopt bylaws to regulate its affairs that don’t conflict with SfN's articles of incorporation, bylaws or resolutions to the bylaws. View sample chapter bylaws.
- Chapter bylaws must be approved by the Global Membership Committee prior to adoption.
Reactivate a Chapter
To reactivate a chapter, follow these guidelines: