JNS Meeting Travel Awards
Applications for this award will open in March of 2023.
Every year, SfN and the Japan Neuroscience Society (JNS) provide a joint travel award exchange program for PhD candidates or individuals doing postdoctoral work to attend their respective meetings.
Prior to applying for the JNS meeting travel award, applicants must submit an abstract to the JNS Annual Meeting by the deadline at their own expense. Please note, you must be a member of JNS to submit an abstract to the JNS Annual Meeting.
Abstract submission for the JNS Annual Meeting will open on December 1, 2022, and will close Wednesday, February 8, 2023, 12 p.m. JST (Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 10 p.m. EST). Please follow the JNS Annual Meeting website for any updates.
The 2023 SfN travel award will cover registration fees for SfN members from the United States, Canada, and Mexico to participate in JNS’s 46th Annual Meeting, August 1–August 4, 2023 in Sendai, Miyagi prefecture, Japan. See the JNS Annual Meeting website for more information.
This meeting will be in a hybrid format and SfN travel recipients to JNS will have the choice to attend either virtually or in-person, but preference is for in-person attendance. For recipients selecting the virtual attendance option, only the virtual registration fees will be covered.
Upon notification of winning the award, SfN travel recipients will be refunded the JNS annual membership for one year and JNS meeting registration fees. For those selecting to attend the JNS meeting in person, the award will also provide a stipend of $2,500 for travel expenses.
Recipients will be selected based on the scientific merit of the abstract submitted to the forum and the strength of related application materials. Recipients may not receive additional travel awards from IBRO, FENS, or JNS to attend this event.
Award recipients receive award funds following the JNS Annual Meeting.
Before Applying With SfN
- Become a member of the Japan Neuroscience Society
- Register for the JNS Annual Meeting
- Submit an abstract for the JNS Annual Meeting by Wednesday, February 8, 2023, 12 p.m. JST (Tuesday, February 7, 2023, 10 p.m. EST)
How to Apply
Submit the following materials by March 29, 2023, 5 p.m. EDT:
- One-page curriculum vitae (CV) including country of residency, education (including date of achieving PhD candidacy or start of postdoctoral work), honors, awards, and publications
- One letter of recommendation from an academic adviser
- An essay on career goals, planned research, and the value of attending the JNS Annual Meeting (up to 500 words)
- A copy of the proposed abstract that has been submitted to the JNS Annual Meeting
Contact email@example.com with questions.
- Applicant must be living and working in the United States, Canada, or Mexico at the time of travel.
- Applicant must be a PhD candidate or postdoctoral scholar.
- Applicant must be an SfN member in good standing.
- Applicant must be the first author on an abstract to be presented at the JNS Annual Meeting.
- Recipient must not have received another SfN travel award in the same calendar year.
- Preference will be given to those who have not previously had extensive experience living or working in Japan.
2022 JNS Meeting Travel Award Recipients
- Johnathan Borland, University of Minnesota
- Bryan McElroy, Temple University
- Katherine Meckel, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
- Mauro Montalbano, University of Texas Medical Branch
- Fangchen Zhu, John Hopkins University