Award for Education in Neuroscience
The Award for Education in Neuroscience recognizes individuals who have made outstanding contributions to neuroscience education and training.
Recipients receive complimentary registration, transportation (economy air or ground), and two nights hotel accommodations for the SfN annual meeting.
For more information, please review the Awards and Funding FAQs.
The deadline for the Award for Education in Neuroscience has been extended to Friday, May 31, at 5 p.m. EDT.APPLY NOW
Nomination Criteria & Materials
- Self-nomination is not permitted.
- Nominees do not need to be SfN members.
- Nominations must be made or endorsed by an SfN member.
- No person may nominate more than one candidate.
- Current SfN officers and councilors are ineligible for nomination.
- Due to potential conflicts of interest, members of the selection committee may not be the nominees, and they cannot serve as nominators nor write letters of recommendation for this prize.
Nomination materials include the following:
- One nomination letter
- Maximum of two optional letters of recommendation (one letter must summarize the nominee's contributions to education and training)
- Current CV
Nominees must have notable contributions to educating and training others about neuroscience.
- 2018: Erik Herzog, PhD and Gönül Peker, PhD
- 2017: Ronald Calabrese, PhD and Randy Nelson, PhD
- 2016: John M. Bekkers, PhD and Bruce R. Johnson, PhD
- 2015: William B. Kristan Jr., PhD
- 2014: Eve Marder, PhD and Richard Olivo, PhD
- 2013: Keith A. Trujillo, PhD
- 2012: Sharon L. Juliano, PhD and Osvaldo D. Uchitel, MD, PhD
- 2011: Julio Ramirez, PhD
- 2010: John Nicholls, MD
- 2009: Thomas M. Jessell, PhD, Eric R. Kandel, MD, and James H. Schwartz, MD, PhD
- 2008: Dale Purves, MD
- 2007: John H. Byrne, PhD
- 2006: Donald Kennedy, PhD
- 2005: Frankie Trull
- 2004: Ronald R. Hoy, PhD
- 2003: Joe L. Martinez, Jr., PhD, and James Townsel, PhD
- 2002: Eric Chudler, PhD
- 2001: Edwin J. Furshpan, PhD, Edward A. Kravitz, PhD, and David D. Potter, PhD
- 2000: Neal Miller, PhD
- 1999: Michael Zigmond, PhD
- 1998: Gordon Shepherd, MD, DPhil
- 1997: Nancy Wexler, PhD
- 1996: Eugene Streicher, PhD
- 1995: W. Maxwell Cowan, MD, PhD
- 1994: Floyd E. Bloom, MD
- 1993: Walle J. H. Nauta, MD, PhD
- 1992: Ellen Grass
- 1991: Oliver W. Sacks, MD
Award for Education In Neuroscience Selection Committee
Shubha P Tole, PhD
Tata Inst of Fundamental Research
Story C Landis, PhD
Elisabeth J Van Bockstaele, PhD
Drexel University College Of Medicine
Michael C Crair, PhD
Heather McKellar, PhD,MA
New York University