Start or Reactivate a Chapter
Interested in starting or reactivating a chapter? Visit the Chapter Directory to see if there's already a chapter in your area. Then, follow the guidelines below to get started.
Start a New Chapter
The Global Membership Committee reviews petitions for new chapters twice a year and makes recommendations to the SfN Council. Inquire with firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm submission deadlines.
To start a new chapter, follow these guidelines:
- Submit a Chapter Petition Form signed by 10 Regular or Emeritus SfN members in the same geographic region.
- A prospective chapter may only submit a petition if a local chapter does not already exist.
- A chapter must adopt bylaws to regulate its affairs that don’t conflict with SfN's articles of incorporation or bylaws. View sample chapter bylaws.
- Chapter bylaws must be approved by the Global Membership Committee prior to adoption.
Reactivate a Chapter
The Global Membership Committee approves petitions for chapter reactivation on a rolling basis.
To reactivate a chapter, follow these guidelines:
- Elect a representative responsible for completing the Chapter Reactivation Form. The chapter representative must be an active Regular or Emeritus SfN member.
- Update/adopt bylaws to regulate your chapter's affairs (a must). These bylaws cannot conflict with SfN's articles of incorporation or bylaws. View sample chapter bylaws.