Chapter of the Year Award
The Chapter of the Year (COY) Award recognizes outstanding chapters for their efforts and accomplishments across a broad range of activities that are in line with the mission and strategic initiatives of SfN.
Recipients receive a $1,000 grant to support chapter goals/programs. Awards are presented during the Chapters Workshop at the SfN annual meeting.
You must submit a completed chapter annual report through the online submission portal and include an essay detailing your chapter's qualifications for the COY Award. Essay instructions are included in the chapter annual report.
The COY Award application is now closed.
For award consideration, chapters must meet reporting requirements, including:
- Submit an annual chapter report.
- Submit an SfN Chapter grant final report, if applicable.
Additionally, a representative from the chapter leadership must be present at the Chapter's Workshop to accept the award.
Awards are judged based on a two-step review and evaluation process using chapter annual reports. Annual reports must meet basic reporting requirements to be considered. Qualifying reports are then sent to the Global Membership Committee for final judging.
- Evidence the chapter has implemented an innovative idea that includes the public, media, or political representatives in its outreach programs
- Extent to which chapter outreach includes providing neuroscience resources for K-12 education
- Extent and effectiveness of the chapter's methods for communicating with its members and to the general public (use of websites, Facebook, chapter newsletters, etc.)
- Degree to which the chapter promotes involvement with the local community outside of SfN members
- Demonstration of commitment to engagement in neuroscience advocacy issues
- Evidence of effective partnering across multiple institutions in implementing chapter activities
- Diversity of chapter members and of participants in chapter activities
- Demonstration of innovative programs and activities that can serve as models for other SfN chapters
- 2017: Louisville
- 2016: Front Range
- 2015: Galveston
- 2014: Ohio Miami Valley
- 2013: Greater New York City
- 2012: Lethbridge, Canada
- 2011: Lehigh Valley
- 2010: Chicago
- 2009: Western North Carolina