Bernice Grafstein Award for Outstanding Accomplishments in Mentoring
The Bernice Grafstein Award for Outstanding Accomplishments in Mentoring, supported by Bernice Grafstein, PhD, recognizes individuals dedicated to women's advancement in neuroscience through mentorship.
Recipients receive a $2,500 award and complimentary registration, transportation (economy air or ground), and two nights hotel accommodations for the SfN annual meeting. The award is presented at the Celebration of Women in Neuroscience Luncheon held during the meeting.
Nomination Criteria & Materials
- Nominees must be SfN members.
- Self-nomination is not permitted.
- Nominations must be made or endorsed by an SfN member.
- No person may nominate more than one candidate.
- Current SfN officers and councilors are ineligible for nomination.
- Due to potential conflicts of interest, members of the selection committee may not be the nominees, and they cannot serve as nominators nor write letters of recommendation for this prize.
Nomination materials include the following:
- One nomination letter
- Maximum of two optional letters of recommendation (one letter must describe the nominee's contributions to the advancement of women in neuroscience through mentoring and other efforts, such as leadership and service)
- Current CV
- A list of students and postdoctoral fellows who have been mentored by the nominee
- Demonstrated dedication to and success in mentoring women neuroscientists
- Demonstrated dedication to facilitating women’s entry into or retention within the field of neuroscience
- Nominee may engage in related efforts and achievements that promote women's advancement in neuroscience.