Julius Axelrod Prize
The Julius Axelrod Prize, supported by the Eli Lilly and Company Foundation, honors a scientist with distinguished achievements in the broad field of neuropharmacology (or a related area) and exemplary efforts in mentoring young scientists.
Recipients receive a $25,000 prize and complimentary registration, transportation (economy air or ground), and two nights hotel accommodations for the SfN annual meeting. The SfN president presents the prize at a lecture at the meeting.
Nominations of women scientists are encouraged.
Nomination Criteria & Materials
- Self-nomination is not permitted.
- Nominees do not need to be SfN members.
- Nominations must be made or endorsed by an SfN member.
- No person may nominate more than one candidate.
- Current SfN officers and councilors are ineligible for nomination.
- Due to potential conflicts of interest, members of the selection committee may not be the nominees, and they cannot serve as nominators nor write letters of recommendation for this prize.
Nomination materials include the following:
- One nomination letter and a maximum of two optional letters of recommendation (one letter must include a summary of past, present and future research - 2 pages)
- Current CV
- A list of 12 of the most important publications authored or co-authored by the nominee
- Names and current job positions of up to five scientists trained by the nominee
Demonstrated accomplishments in the field of neuropharmacology or a related area and have shown dedication to mentoring young scientists.
- 2018: Stephen Waxman, MD
- 2017: Moses V. Chao, PhD
- 2016: Robert Malenka, MD, PhD
- 2015: Pietro V. De Camilli, MD
- 2014: Susan G. Amara, PhD
- 2013: Joseph T. Coyle, MD
- 2012: Richard W. Tsien, D.Phil
- 2011: Roger Nicoll, MD
- 2010: Stephen Heinemann, PhD
- 2009: Michael Greenberg, PhD
- 2008: Leslie Iversen, PhD
- 2007: Richard Huganir, PhD; David Julius, PhD
Julius Axelrod Prize Selection Committee
Susan G. Amara, PhD
National Institute of Mental Health
William A Catterall, PhD
University of Washington
Pietro V De Camilli, MD
Rita J Balice-Gordon, PhD
David J Julius, PhD
Univ California-San Francisco
Michael E Greenberg, PhD
Harvard Medical School
Maiken Nedergaard, PhD, MD