Jacob P. Waletzky Award
The Jacob P. Waletzky Award is given to a young scientist (within 15 years of his/her Ph.D. or MD degree) whose independent research has led to significant conceptual and empirical contributions to the understanding of drug addiction. Both basic and clinical researchers are eligible for the award. Future plans to continue to make significant contributions to addiction research and treatment is one of the selection criteria.
Recipients receive a $25,000 prize and complimentary registration, transportation (economy air or ground), and two nights hotel accommodations for the SfN annual meeting. The SfN president presents the prize at a lecture at the meeting.
Nomination Criteria & Materials
- Self-nomination is not permitted.
- Nominees do not need to be SfN members.
- Nominations must be made or endorsed by an SfN member.
- No person may nominate more than one candidate.
- Current SfN officers and councilors are ineligible for nomination.
- Due to the potential conflicts of interest, members of the selection committee may not be the nominees, and they cannot serve as nominators nor write letters of recommendation.
Nomination materials include the following:
- One nomination letter
- Maximum of two optional letters of recommendation (one must be from the nominee’s current or previous mentor)
- Current CV (include date on which the advanced degree was awarded)
- Essay (500 words or less) describing the future goals and direction of the nominee’s planned research in the substance abuse and the brain and nervous system
- Actively engaged in research at the time the award is given
- Future plans to continue to make significant contributions to addiction research and treatment
- Received a PhD or MD (or equivalent) within the past 15 years (Time taken off for child-rearing does not count in these totals. Part-time work and other special circumstances are evaluated at the discretion of the committee.)
- 2018: Michael Bruchas, PhD
- 2017: Karen Ersche, PhD; Garret Stuber, PhD
- 2016: Marisa Roberto, PhD
- 2015: Yan Dong, PhD
- 2014: Paul E.M. Phillips, PhD
- 2013: Rita Z. Goldstein, PhD
- 2012: Andrew Holmes, PhD
- 2011: J. David Jentsch, PhD
- 2010: Paul Kenny, PhD
- 2009: Geoffrey Schoenbaum, MD, PhD
- 2008: R. Christopher Pierce, PhD
- 2007: Marina Picciotto, PhD
- 2006: Yavin Shaham, PhD
- 2005: William Carlezon, PhD
- 2004: Antonello Bonci, MD
- 2003: Pierre Vincenzo Piazza, MD
Jacob P. Waletzky Award Selection Committee
Robert C Malenka, PhD, MD
Stanford University School of Medicine
Howard L Fields
Edythe D London, PhD
Lakshmi A Devi, PhD
Mount Sinai Sch of Med
Antonello Bonci, MD
National Institute On Drug Abuse
Jeremy P Waletzky, MD