Quick Tips for Investigators
- Recognize you may be a target.
- Understand how animal rights activists target you.
- Be aware of commonly requested documents.
- Understand which records are subject to disclosure.
- Do not personally respond to an open records request – the point person at your institution and/or the institution’s legal counsel should respond to all requests (see #2 below).
- Communicate with your point person and the university counsel or research office.
- Ask your point person to contact the FOIA officer at your federal funding agency if you have any questions about documents that may be disclosed.